13th May Saturday
Mothers day, in NZ anyway.

Slept in this morning until 6:30 then coffee in bed.

Our camp site for the night, visited last night by a herd of cows

We slowly rose as there was no hurry to make our way to the highway that was just under a mile away.

Yesterday afternoon my feet were really killing me, carrying an extra five litres of water along with 5 days worth of food isn’t easy along a dusty road that seemed to go on forever.  My feet felt like they were swollen, throbbing  and had unusual red marks that was obviously  telling me that I pushed them to much.  So this morning I dumped all but one litre of water but I drank as much as I could,  like a camel, before I did.

Not very exciting views along Pie Town Road

Tent was wet from the night dew so we spent half an hour laying them out on a nearby tree to dry them out.  I tend to think it may be more condensation   So once I get a warmer sleeping bag, I’ll be able to leave  the tent door open.

Leaving Pie Town Road behind was a good feeling,  Ken and I had a bet,  I was confident that we would get a lift within two hours that would get us into Grants befor midday, he wasn’t so confident, however within half an hour the fourth car stopped and offered us a lift.

Walking on hard tarseal national highway isn’t what we have come here to do, so we sat in the aircon car and talked to the nice retired couple while we travelled the 38 miles looking at the lava rocks along the way.

The needles I got the other day from the cactus that I sat on  were still there. I did a Google search and the best way to remove them is to apply white school glue then peel  it off after 10 minutes. Maybe just wear and tear will get rid of them or tweezers.

We got dropped off a couple  of miles from Grants Town and when entering the town itself, it was a disappointment.  We followed a railway line and along the way were, 5 hotels that were closed, along the old highway 66.  Who in the right mind would stay there anyway, the railway which was frequently  being used, was only about 50 metres from the hotel.

One of the many Hotels that no longer are in use

Finally we checked in to Sands Hotel at a cost of 45 dollars per night,  the Indian lady that looked like she was just about to give birth was most helpful. The room she put us in was next to where Elvis once stayed and she said that come tomorrow when the room was  vacant, she will show us though it.

Washing was first on the list. First our bodies, then down into town to the laundromat.  We did some shopping and on the 2 mile walk back, the heat of the day was really trying, it was a dry hot heat with very little cloud to provide coverage so on the way back, Ken paid up and we stopped and had coffee where customers would come in with 40 litres plastic containers and fill up with what I guess we filtered water.
Dinner was to die for.